Friday, July 25, 2014

Okay, so maybe Seattle's not that bad (even if it is still weird)

x

Okay, so my last post might have been kind of a rant.  Maybe a tad negative about the city I chose to move to of my own free will.  And I suspect you might be wondering whether I've thrown in the towel (or expired from heat exhaustion in my bed).  

The good news is that shortly after my rant, a cold front moved in and the weather has been cloudy and rainy, with temperatures down in the 50s and 60s, ever since.  Sometimes I want to complain about the fact that I'm wearing pants and sweaters in the middle of July, but then I look at the thermostat in my apartment and it's a perfectly reasonable 73 degrees -- and the complaint sort of dies away faintly.  Because at this point I will take sleep over warm sunny days.

And with sleep comes a happier mental and emotional state.  One that is able to appreciate how Seattle's famous Pike Place Market has an outpost market in the courtyard in front of my office building every Thursday, making it possible for me to buy gorgeous, giant handmade bouquets like this for only seven dollars.  

Lilies, dahlias, zinnias and purple spiky things.
I couldn't resist!
Don't get me wrong, though.  Just because I'm in a better mood and have fresh flowers on my table doesn't mean that Seattle still isn't a totally weird place.  I mean, seriously people, in what other city do men (and believe it or not I use the plural for a reason) think that this haircut is okay?  (And how is it that these guys have spouses or partners or at the very minimum walking companions when the rest of us don't?)


And if you think that is weird, you should have seen the guy who was walking his pet snake on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building.  

The moral of this story is that I need to get better at surreptitious photography so that I can share more of these friends with you.


No comments: