Friday, November 25, 2011

Paris, Day 5 - Foodie Crawl

How should you spend your last full day in Paris?  You could (A) go shopping at the flea market; (B) cram in a few more of the must-see churches and museums; or (C) abandon your plans to do the foregoing in favor of tracking down the most delicious delicacies in the city. 

We chose option C.

Eric Kayser Boulangerie
Known for bread and pastries.  We started the morning here with quiche and pastries.



FNAC
While digesting breakfast, we stepped into a nearby FNAC and had fun in the book section.  In addition to some new French novels, I also found some translations of Spanish author Carlos Ruiz Zafon that are not available in the U.S.



Luxembourg Gardens
En route to lunch.  Lovely chrysanthemums.




Random Cafe in front of Saint Sulpice
For sustenance before an afternoon of sweet debauchery.


Pierre Herne
Delicious chocolate, but WAY overcrowded.  Also, a tad unreasonable on the credit card policy:  The rule was no credit cards for purchases under 15 euros.  My total was 14.70 and the woman absolutely refused to allow me to pay with my card -- even after I said I would pay the extra 30 cents.  Smelled to me like a trick to get people to buy more, and I told her so.  (Grrr!)  Fortunately, her colleague intervened and waived the rule.



Intense dark chocolate praline with croquants
Laduree
Like walking into a giant Easter egg.  Reputed to have the best macarons in Paris.  (I was scolded for taking a picture inside the shop.  I am SUCH a vulgar tourist -- gah!)





Chapon
To my mind, this was the winner of the sweets:  Super friendly staff and a tasting bar of chocolate mousse.  The mousses are made with sole sourced cocoa from around the world, which means that they all taste slightly different based on the growing conditions in the country of origin.  After tasting several varieties, I narrowed my selection to chocolate from Equador and Cuba -- with Cuba winning out in the end. 




Nicole Barthelemy
To keep our caloric intake up, our last stop was at a fromagerie.  The shop was closed when we arrived, with a sign indicating that it would open in half an hour.  We could smell the cheese wafting through the cracks in the door as we stood outside waiting.  !!!  Once inside, we told the guy to pick two adventurous and distinct cheeses.  We ended up with a Stilton and some uber-creamy cheese that I can't remember the name of.  We took these home and ate them in our hotel room after the ballet.  Both cheeses were very pungent and absolutely delicious.



Au Lys d'Argent
Returning to my Breton roots, we had galettes for dinner on the Ile Saint Louis the way to the ballet.



Berthillon
A peach sorbet from the famous ice cream maker as dessert.  No matter that it was cold enough to be wearing a long wool coat with a scarf and gloves.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which one of those was the one you ate for me?! Lady

Ashley said...

Well if it tastes as good as it looks...! Fabulous!