Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The House: Not boring

Remember how I took three months to select paint colors for my house?  Well, you'd think that in that  time I'd have come up with the perfect palette and chosen colors that I loved and would never want to change.  Turns out, not so much.

From the beginning I'd been toying with the idea of a dramatic, dark blue bedroom.  I even tried out a couple of colors on the wall.  But I never felt totally confident with the choice and worried that I would hate it, or that it wouldn't flow with the rest of the house, or whatever.  So when the painter came, I told him to pain the room a safe, bland (I told myself it was "restful") gray color called Cronkite.

Untitled


 Cronkite wasn't a terrible choice.  It's actually a very nice warm gray, and it served the purpose of making my bedroom presentable while I focused on the rest of the house.  But I knew it was the wrong choice for me from the first moment I saw it.  I knew I had sacrificed the interesting for the safe, and that bothered me.  Then I had my housewarming party and noticed that everyone raved about my guest bedroom but said nothing about the master bedroom -- and that's when I knew I needed to change things up and go back to my original vision.

So I called my painter, who just happened to have a couple free days between jobs, and voila!  I'm on my way to an interesting bedroom!

The color's called Espionage.  So maybe I'll feel a little like James Bond sleeping in there...

It needs at least one more coat, and of course then I'll need to figure out lamps and artwork and everything else.  But I already love it.

No comments: