Thursday, September 27, 2012

Charicature of myself

Do you ever have those moments when you realize that you're behaving like a charicature of yourself?  You know, when you do the sort of thing that someone who knew you might write into a scene for an exaggerated sitcom character that is based on you? 

Well, I do.  (Not the sitcom part, but the rest of it.)  Here are two real-life vignettes to illustrate:

Vignette No. 1

[September 2008.  Resort town on the shores of Lake Atitlan in Guatemala (easily one of the most beautiful lakes in the world). I'm on an extended vacation with a friend from law school.  We're looking for a place to have lunch -- we discover a cool, shady restaurant full of divans and cushions where people can lounge while they eat, soaking in the views of the lake.]

Kim:  Let's eat here.

Me:  No way.  There is way too much "hanging out" going on here.

Kim:  You realize that's what people do on vacation, right?  Especially when they're hippies.

Me:  Moving on!

Vignette No. 2

[Yesterday afternoon.  At work.  I take a few minutes to look at my personal email and glance at my Facebook newsfeed.  Think of the interaction between me and the screen as a conversation.]

My brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law:


Me:  What?!  No!  How does that even cross your mind?  I mean, okay, a twelve-minute power-nap under your desk might be okay if it's 8pm and you know you're going to be working until midnight anyway.  But skipping work!?  How will you get stuff done?  What if you're caught?  Where's the apostrophe?

[Choking, spluttering, scrolling down]

My uncle:

Me:  TWO HOURS?  Of just sitting there?  I know it's pretty, but -- oh man, I have GOT to get something done. 

[At this point I was basically in convulsions, so I put away Facebook and got back to work.  Whew.]

5 comments:

chitarita said...

I am confused. Those are perfectly reasonable reactions in Scenario #2.

Mary said...

I think you need to relax a little, mon ami. Maybe not for two hours in a field, or a 12-minute power nap under your desk, but seriously--it's okay to slow down every once in a while. To quote our friend Ferris Bueller: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't slow down once in a while, you could miss it."

JJD said...

I totally agree, Mary. I relaxed once and it was great! :)

Ashley said...

There already exists a charicature of you called Hermione Granger. Case in point: "Let's go to bed before either one of you can think of something else to get us killed. Or, worse, expelled!"

Anonymous said...

I second Mary! Ashley, the "expelled" part is perfect! Jason, "where's the apostrophe?" has me laughing... "I relaxed once" is so you!! Lady