Sunday, June 21, 2015

Solstice in Fremont

So, one thing I did not know about Seattle before moving here is just how weird it is.  And apparently I live in the epicenter of a certain bohemian, artsy type of Seattle weirdness.  For example, on the longest day of the year, they have a neighborhood parade with Goth/steampunk/hippie/swing bands and naked, painted cyclists....

Fremont Solstice Parade
Best parade-viewing spot:  beneath the troll bridge
Fremont Solstice Parade
Most people paint themselves.  Some, well, couldn't be bothered.
Fremont Solstice Parade
Middle aged white people dancing with flags
Fremont Solstice Parade
Middle aged white people dong enthusiastic, jazzy marching band stuff
Fremont Solstice Parade
Maybe a polar bear . . . maybe a yak.  Who knows?
Fremont Solstice Parade
Kayakers, I think


To be honest, as strange as it was, the Solstice Festival was one of the funnest things I've seen in Seattle so far.  Totally unique, and lots of great, festive summer energy.  Plus, it was fun to have this going through my neighborhood.  We ran into a group of friends, and so once we'd had our fill of the parade, we went back to my house for an impromptu afternoon party on my roof.  It was delightful.  Happy summer!

No comments: