Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I never get tired of New York

Another quick trip to New York today.  This time to attend a dinner with law students that we are recruiting from Columbia and NYU.  Timing wasn't the most convenient -- there's a lot going on at work at the moment -- but it's basically impossible not to enjoy a trip to New York. 

Things got off to an auspicious start when I managed to upgrade to first class on the high speed train to New York.  I normally ride in business class, which is perfectly comfortable on those trains, so I wondered what first class would offer.  Well, start with a private first class lounge, where they have beverages, comfortable chairs and a separate "first class" entrance to the train platform.  Then, once aboard, two very friendly attendants who help you with your bags, bring you beverages and a full meal, periodically check in on you to make sure you're enjoying your trip, and then pull your suitcase from the rack so that it's sitting by the door when your stop comes up.  I could definitely get used to first class...

Once in New York, I checked into my hotel, where I was promised a room with a view of the Empire State Building.

Empire State Building?  Check
Then headed up to the firm's New York office, where I spent the afternoon working out of a guest office with views of the Hudson River and New Jersey.  


Evening rolled around and it was time for dinner at Colicchio & Sons, a quasi-new restaurant in the heart of the Meatpacking District.  It apparently doesn't have a website that I can link to, so here's the review from the New York Times.  The food was delicious and it was fun to meet the law students and see some old friends from the firm.

Heirloom tomato salad
(tasty, but didn't have a wow factor)
Aged sirloin steak with mushrooms, potatoes and onions
(the strongest dish)
 
Apple tarte, some sort of sorbet, and a creamy thing with cinnamon
(the weakest dish -- either hard to eat or weird texture)

On the way home from the restaurant I discovered, just a couple blocks away, a shop with a bunch of Moroccan wedding blankets hanging on the wall.  I was happy to see that the ones I got in Marrakesh (which I still haven't blogged about with pictures) would hold up very well against them.  Plus, there's one of those diamond-patterned wool rugs that I tried so unsuccessfully to find in Morocco -- I may have to keep this place in mind for future reference...


And now back at the hotel, appreciating the night-time views of the Empire State Building.  Good night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun! Lady
PS: Now look at your email and call me!...during daylight hours...