Saturday, March 8, 2014

Weekend in Seattle

The other day I flew out to Seattle for some meetings at Amazon and managed to tack on a day after the meetings to explore the town.  I hadn't been to Seattle since I was in high school, and I'd forgotten what a cool place it is.  The first day, when I was in meetings, was gorgeous -- sunny and warm -- and the next day, when I was wandering around, was typically cold and rainy.  But I embraced the weather with what I assumed to be Northwestern equanimity and had a great time.
 
Untitled
The view from my hotel room
Untitled
At the top of the hill, in Volunteer Park
Untitled
The very cool Seattle Public Library
(designed by Koolhaas)
Untitled
The Seattle waterfront
Untitled
Seattle Olympic Sculpture Park
Untitled
Space Needle
Untitled
Brunch at Tilikum Place Cafe
(brioche French toast with plum compote and sorghum whipped cream,
with a side of bacon and fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice)
Untitled
The Chihuly glass museum
Untitled
boats with blown-glass balls
Untitled
this sea-themed tower of blown-glass was probably 20 feet tall
Untitled
The Frank Gehry-designed EMI Museum
(in which is also housed the Sci-Fi Museum)
Untitled
"As you wish!"
The Princess Bride's wedding dress
and Westley's Dread Pirate Roberts costume
Untitled
"Exterminate!"
A dalek from the original Doctor Who series
Untitled
Seattle's monorail connects the Space Needle complex to downtown;
a convenient way to get back to the hotel.

No comments: